Almost every brand and company is trying to engage consumers with digital these days. Everyone is talking about ‘conversations’ they want to have, or that those consumers could be having about them. However, in the end, its always about the content you end up creating and putting out there for the world of digital beings to react to. If they do, then the conversation begins.
To help, I pulled this simple ‘S.M.I.L.E.’ approach I liked for generating such content off of www.servantofchaos.com:
- Small – make sure your content is small and easily digestible. Don’t write 1000 words when 140 characters will do
- Meaningful – ensure that your content means something to your audience. It’s one thing to push your content out, but you do want people to read it too!
- Intent – make your intent with the content transparent. Don’t say one thing and do another
- Laugh out loud – the three word acronym LOL means “laugh out loud”. Don’t forget that much of our inter-personal communication is based on sharing and humour. Share that aspect of your personality in your content
- Engage – make sure to follow-up with conversations/comments as they occur. Don’t let the conversation start and end abruptly.